Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Communications  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 7, 2016 5:45:36 PM(UTC)
Communications

Was thanked: 161 time(s) in 115 post(s)
UserPostedImage

When Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat leaves the popular BBC series in 2017, the network wants actor Peter Capaldi to stay on-board as the Twelfth Doctor.

Broadchurch creator Chris Chibnall will take over after Moffat's final 12-part run next season.

Read more at RADIOTIMES

I'm on the fence with Moffat leaving the show, part of me can't wait to see what Chris Chibnall will do with the series, but part of me just wonders will the show survive without Moffat (Even though many fans LOATH the current Moffat reign)

Thoughts?

Nails3d  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 7, 2016 6:52:23 PM(UTC)
Nails3d

I think Moffat needed to go, the series had changed from adventures in time and space to a study into the doctors psyche. I've been watching DoctorWwho since the first series with William Hartnell, and felt the last series was the worst since the Sylvester McCoy days, when the BBC were obviously trying to kill it off. It needs to get back to its roots, get the kids back hiding behind sofa's and the adults pretending there was nothing scary at all.
gishzida  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 7, 2016 7:47:23 PM(UTC)
gishzida

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Nails3d Go to Quoted Post
I think Moffat needed to go, the series had changed from adventures in time and space to a study into the doctors psyche. I've been watching DoctorWwho since the first series with William Hartnell, and felt the last series was the worst since the Sylvester McCoy days, when the BBC were obviously trying to kill it off. It needs to get back to its roots, get the kids back hiding behind sofa's and the adults pretending there was nothing scary at all.

Yeah I was kinda surprised when I realized that the show was being pitched to 'tweens [there have been a number of episodes where Capaldi seemed to have become "the grumpy old man who really does like kids after all". If Dr. Who has become a thing for 'tweens then I'm watching the wrong thing. Or maybe I just never noticed it before Capaldi took over...

Maybe its because the "younger doctors" [The first three doctors of this series] were too young to be weighed down by the kind of "mature character" that the Doctor has become. They seemed to have a "devil may care" attitude. Maybe it is time for a new Doctor. I rather like my Doctor rash, brilliant, and maybe almost in love.

I think the only reason the new Producer ["Show runner"] wants to keep Capaldi is that he is a known quantity and is bringing in an audience... Lord knows one does not kill the goose who lays golden eggs... at least while they are still laying them.

Definition: Autodidact = 1) Self Taught; 2) An Idiot teaching the ignorant; 3) Me!
Communications  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 7, 2016 8:05:52 PM(UTC)
Communications

Originally Posted by: gishzida Go to Quoted Post

Yeah I was kinda surprised when I realized that the show was being pitched to 'tweens [there have been a number of episodes where Capaldi seemed to have become "the grumpy old man who really does like kids after all". If Dr. Who has become a thing for 'tweens then I'm watching the wrong thing. Or maybe I just never noticed it before Capaldi took over...

Maybe its because the "younger doctors" [The first three doctors of this series] were too young to be weighed down by the kind of "mature character" that the Doctor has become. They seemed to have a "devil may care" attitude. Maybe it is time for a new Doctor. I rather like my Doctor rash, brilliant, and maybe almost in love.

I think the only reason the new Producer ["Show runner"] wants to keep Capaldi is that he is a known quantity and is bringing in an audience... Lord knows one does not kill the goose who lays golden eggs... at least while they are still laying them.

Try to keep in mind that the show from the 60's was billed as a "kids show" however it never fully resonated with kids between time slots and the age of the leads, they DID try to make a spin off years back more centered / geared to kids "The Sarah Jane Chronicles" which centered around former companion Sarah Jane and her robot dog K-9 and a handful of children I THINK it ran 2 seasons (maybe 3) but again just never really stuck / reached their target audience.

When Doctor Who was 'brought back" in 2005 and up till the end of Matt Smith's reign as the Doctor it Did DEFF attract a very large "tween" audience, my oldest daughter for example touted herself as a "die hard true whovian" but she jumped ship the moment the doctor was no longer "hot" lol

Some praised Peter's Doc as it would "weed out the tweens" and while that was partly true, I've since managed to bring my oldest back into the Whovian fold so to speak :)

I personally did NOT like the the bulk of Peter's first season, he just did not 'gell' with me as The Doctor, I HAVE watched every single episode from #1 up to #13 (sorry I count 13 doctors not 12 lol) seen all the movies, specials, and have read a LOT of the various books and radio plays, I watch the proms every year that I can, and BBC specials as well, back on point though, Peter DID start to grow on me, and by the end of this past season I was a Peter convert for sure.

And Spoiler alert...

gishzida  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 7, 2016 8:25:16 PM(UTC)
gishzida

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I'm more of a Who dabbler... I've watched most of the first three Doctors of this series and tried to watch most of the episodes with Tom Baker in the first series. One of the downsides of episodic TV Science Fiction is actually the hero versus "monsters of the week". At this point I've not seen the last years series [we're not on cable having cut the cord (for mostly financial reasons)... and it seems that BBC America has pulled the series from all the usual suspects so I'll be doing without the Doctor until that changes]

The whole "conceit" of the Doctor's Companion is that they are the "Stand in" for the viewer. Clara is the viewer who did not know when to shut-up and let the Doctor be the Doctor. She certainly became the "impossible girl". Alas. The pretty ones usually do... derp
Definition: Autodidact = 1) Self Taught; 2) An Idiot teaching the ignorant; 3) Me!
Rubbermatt  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 7, 2016 11:37:00 PM(UTC)
Rubbermatt

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Teronsuke Go to Quoted Post

I personally did NOT like the the bulk of Peter's first season, he just did not 'gel' with me as The Doctor

Because he wasn't the Doctor, he was Clara's companion.
Personally I think they should have gotten rid of her at the beginning of his tenure, her story arc was completed with Smiths finale. Hell her inability to accept that he was a different person now gave them the perfect story hook with which to make the transition. She wouldn't have been the first companion to do so.
Plus her preachy self righteous attitude was really starting to grate on the nerves.
Nails3d  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2016 11:44:57 AM(UTC)
Nails3d

I suppose I just prefer simple episodic series, where if I miss one episode I'm not cast adrift. It doesn't mean there can't be linking themes, but that weeks story should stand alone, apart from maybe a final episode. The Chris Eccleston series was perfect to my mind, with everything being linked by just the two words "bad wolf".
Dareshiranu  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2017 9:47:33 PM(UTC)
Dareshiranu

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Try to keep in mind that the show from the 60's was billed as a "kids show" however it never fully resonated with kids between time slots and the age of the leads, they DID try to make a spin off years back more centered / geared to kids "The Sarah Jane Chronicles" which centered around former companion Sarah Jane and her robot dog K-9 and a handful of children I THINK it ran 2 seasons (maybe 3) but again just never really stuck / reached their target audience.

When Doctor Who was 'brought back" in 2005 and up till the end of Matt Smith's reign as the Doctor it Did DEFF attract a very large "tween" audience, my oldest daughter for example touted herself as a "die hard true whovian" but she jumped ship the moment the doctor was no longer "hot" lol

Some praised Peter's Doc as it would "weed out the tweens" and while that was partly true, I've since managed to bring my oldest back into the Whovian fold so to speak :)

I personally did NOT like the the bulk of Peter's first season, he just did not 'gell' with me as The Doctor, I HAVE watched every single episode from #1 up to #13 (sorry I count 13 doctors not 12 lol) seen all the movies, specials, and have read a LOT of the various books and radio plays, I watch the proms every year that I can, and BBC specials as well, back on point though, Peter DID start to grow on me, and by the end of this past season I was a Peter convert for sure.

And Spoiler alert...

I don't disagree about Clara, though a friend pointed out that she was essentially her own Doctor or something. I don't quite remember his reasoning.

However... The Sarah Jane Adventures weren't that many years ago and stopped because the actress (The original companion Sarah Jane Smith, Elizabeth Sladen) died of cancer. Her show ran for five seasons from 2007 to 2011.
Communications  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 12:29:16 PM(UTC)
Communications

Originally Posted by: Dareshiranu Go to Quoted Post

And Spoiler alert...

I don't disagree about Clara, though a friend pointed out that she was essentially her own Doctor or something. I don't quite remember his reasoning.

However... The Sarah Jane Adventures weren't that many years ago and stopped because the actress (The original companion Sarah Jane Smith, Elizabeth Sladen) died of cancer. Her show ran for five seasons from 2007 to 2011.

In regards to your spoiler,  you do realize that the entire reason they took a year off between seasons was....

As for Moffot leaving, when I first made this thread I prolly fealt diff,  but now after having to wait a year, my spoiler tag, I'm almost wishing he had no part in this next season to be honest.

100% correct of Peter's first season as The Doctor, almost NONE of those episodes remotely felt like "Doctor Who Episodes" to me,  and then a few episodes into his 2nd year WHAM everything clicked (minus Clara)

Meanwhile a few weeks ago or so Peter stated he was leaving after this season dunno if he'll change his mind or not,  but I'd bet having to take a year off might have helped him to decide to leave.

and YES 13 Doctors NOT 12... Long Live The War Doctor!  (and RIP as well)

Edited by user Saturday, February 18, 2017 12:31:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

daywalker03  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 6:54:42 PM(UTC)
daywalker03

I've only seen one episode, since I don't have cable or satellite here at the house, but I'd love to be able to find every episode ever made so I could watch it; this yank happens to like good sci-fi when he can find it.
babanathie  
#11 Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2019 11:46:20 PM(UTC)
babanathie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Originally Posted by: Teronsuke Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: gishzida Go to Quoted Post

And Spoiler alert...

Well, it's hard to keep a show going when the leading actress dies...  The show was scheduled to stay in production until that happened.  

sarajampen12  
#12 Posted : Sunday, January 21, 2024 11:39:24 AM(UTC)
sarajampen12

Very interesting.